Thursday, March 12, 2009

Can't Wait

Every once in a while I get a little glimpse into my future. Some times I am excited. Sometimes it makes me scared. And then some times I am overwhelmed by the inevitability of it all, and all I can do is laugh.


Tuesday morning I was teaching violin lessons to a woman who is probably 20 years older than me, but her youngest daughter is the same age as Owen. So she brings her daughter over to play while we have lessons.


Owen has the typical attention-span of a three year old, so he's always all over the place. At one point he was sitting in front of us in the rocking chair, and he was rocking--hard! You know maybe I expect to much from his mental processing some times, but I figured he was in control of himself so I didn't interrupt our lessons to get after him.


Of course then he goes: rock, rock, rock, LAUNCH! And hurls himself through the air into the back of our music stand, knocking everything off. My student was worried, but I knew Owen didn't hurt himself. And HE jumps up and runs into the other room calling out to his little friend:


"Did you see that?"


And I saw it--and I started to laugh--my vision of the future: Owen is 12 or 14 or 16. He's hanging out with other boys. They are skateboarding, or snowboarding, or surfing.
And then:


WIPE OUT!


Owen: "Did you guys see that?! It was totally awesome! I biffed it so bad! Did anyone get that on video?!


That day is coming, there's nothing I can do about it, but shake my head and laugh. My little boy is growing up, and one day he will be a big boy, and I can already see that he is going to act just the same as all the other awkward teenage boys I see running around. Bring it on. It kind of sounds like fun!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Typical boys! Only when Owen is a teenager there will be some shift in the language so it won't sound like anything you or I have ever said in our lives. Something like "Oh SNAP, that was totally awesome!" It's fun watching the change in language as time goes by.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails