Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer Treat

I hosted book club last night. I had a really hard time trying to figure out what I was in the "mood" to make, and finally settled on something I had pulled from a magazine a few years ago. It was perfect for a summer evening get together.

Berry Patch Ice Cream Dessert
From Better homes and Garden August 2001 (I honestly don't know how I have something saved from way back then.)

Begin by baking a batch of brownies. (I'll post Kara's world-famous brownie recipe another day.) Divide the batter into two 8-inch rounds lined with parchment for easy removal. The instructions say to wrap one of them up and freeze for later use--in my case I fed it to the boys of the house because I wasn't going to be sharing any of the finished product with them!

Scoop 1 to 1 1/2 quarts vanilla ice cream in the bowl of a mixer.

Beat just until smooth.

Fold in 1 cup of mixed berries. Spoon into a 8-inch round lined with plastic wrap. (I used a springform pan so I could get it out easily.) Freeze for at least 4 hours.

To serve place brownie round on a plate. Lift ice cream and plastic wrap from pan (or remove springform side). Invert ice cream on brownie. Peel off plastic wrap. Top with 1 1/2 cups berries. Let dessert stand at room temperature 10-15 minutes before serving.

Slice into wedges like a pie, and--if you like--serve with raspberry or chocolate syrup to drizzle.

3 comments:

Brian's Wife said...

That looks yummy! Maybe I will try it for my birthday...it will be a nice change up from frosting! You will have to let me know what books you have been reading with your book club...I'm trying to get a new list together...I'm not lucky enough to have a book club...maybe someday!

Unknown said...

It WAS SUPER YUMMY! I should know, since I had a giant piece and enjoyed EVERY bite! Good job Jeanette!

Anonymous said...

Yumm. I'm sad I missed it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails