Friday, August 7, 2009

Haselnuss

Today is my next installment of the "You want pies with that?" challenge. I never mentioned, but my first attempt last month tied for first place! That's why I love my internet friends--they make me feel good about myself. I tied with Mary's Blueberry Hand Pies, an association I'm proud of since I voted for her! We won the opportunity to name the next challenge- it's gonna be good, but you'll have to wait and see! This month the challenge was named by someone else, and it was to create a pie starring nuts.


The nut that fills some great memories of mine is the hazelnut. Beginning with when my family lived in Germany and we discovered the delicious hazelnut and cocoa spread called Nutella. This began my love for hazelnuts. When I returned to study abroad in Vienna I enjoyed the locally produced Manner Schnitten-- waffle wafers filled with a hazelnut creme. But my favorite thing to do was walk down Kartner Strasse in the afternoon following classes and treat myself to creamy hazelnut ice cream cone.

"Ein Kugel Haselnuss, bitte." I'd say and pay my 2 Euros.

So picking my nut of choice for this challenge was--really--a simple task. I searched around a bit and in the end came up with a pie that is a bit of this, a bit of that, but altogether delicious.

Going with the classic hazelnut pairing with chocolate, here is my:

Chocolate Hazelnut Pie
--A chocolate pie in a hazelnut-graham cracker pie crust, topped with hazelnut-coca whipped cream and sprinkled with chopped hazelnuts--

Crust recipe:
1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (I put the "kitchen elves" in charge of that one)
1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
6 Tbl butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients, stir in the butter, and press into pie plate. Bake at 350* for seven minutes.

Chocolate cream filling recipe:
2 ounces/squares unsweetened chocolate
1 1/2 cups milk
2/3 cup Sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup cold milk
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 Tbls butter
2 tsp vanilla

Begin by finely chopping or grating 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate. This means two whole individually wrapped squares, not just square segments. Place this in a small saucepan and pour 1 1/2 cups milk over it. Heat slowly to scald milk and melt chocolate.

In a medium saucepan combine sugar, flour, and salt. Slowly pour in 1/2 cup of cold milk and mix to combine. Pour in the melted chocolate and scalded milk. Bring quickly to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for three minutes.

Temper the egg yolks adding small spoonfuls of the hot liquid to the yolks while stirring quickly. When you've at least doubled the volume of the egg yolk mixture add back into the saucepan. Cook for three minutes. Stirring constantly.

Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla and allow to cool to lukewarm. Spoon filling into pie crust and place in refrigerator to cool completely.


Whipped cream recipe:

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 heaping tablespoon "Nutella" hazelnut-cocoa spread

Beat the heavy cream to soft peaks, add the Nutella for sweetness and flavor and beat until stiff peaks form.

Spoon cream on top of pie filling, sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts and garnish with a piece of hazelnut chocolate.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Brian's Wife said...

Yummy! I know one of your brothers that would LOVE a slice of that pie!He may gag on a majority of nuts, but he sure does have a love for hazelnuts! How fun to have a little contest to use some of your talents!

Mary said...

Wow that looks good! Good Job!

Anonymous said...

Problem--how to make a delicious pie when there are only two of you at home to eat it. That means we each get 4 slices, but my sweetie doesn't eat sweets, so that means I get 7 slices. I'll have to make this one when B&S&C&E come over! Looks wonderful! But I'm a bit worried about the band-aid on your finger.....

Jeanette said...

Yeah, The band-aid. . . actually it's from grating my knuckle slicing cheese for my baby! Oh well, my image as "knowledgeable in the kitchen" is now tainted.

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

Oh wow, this looks great! Great pie!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Jacque said...

I've heard that peanut butter isn't as big in Europe as it is here in the US. Likewise, hazelnuts are more popular in Europe.

Either way, your pie sounds fantastic! I like the idea of layering the whipped cream layer with the chocolate layer.

Cook the Books said...

My husband would LOVE this pie! I will definately be making this soon!

LilSis said...

Your pie looks excellent! I have to really be careful when I cut up chocolate. Last time, I almost took the end of a finger off!

Indie said...

That looks luscious. I cant wait to try it - your pictures look good enough to eat!

Indie

rachel said...

That pie looks amazing Jeanette!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails