Monday, October 26, 2009

Laundry Lessons

Second week of fall semester 2001--I walk in on my roommate. She has her dirty laundry spread out on her bed separating it into five or six piles.

"Emily," I confronted her. "What in the world are you doing?"

"I'm separating my laundry into colors." She defended.

"This is college," I said stating the obvious. "We pay by the load here, so you need only two piles: lights and darks."

She defended herself further "Well, this is how my mom always did it!"

"Emily," I retorted "Your mom has five kids, there is just one of you!"

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Snarky teenage attitude aside, it was a conversation that I found funny, and obviously still remember 8 years later. It came back to me tonight as I was sorting my backed-up laundry piles.

After throwing in a load of dark blues I sorted the rest of the mountain of laundry from the last week or two. And was amused to find this:

(I threw one of my pink crocks on top for size reference.)

I don't know when it happened, but with my family of four I can now officially sort my laundry piles into every color!

3 comments:

Lynnie said...

Awww. Cute memory. And Cograts!

the Provident Woman said...

That's funny! I still only sort into dark and light. My problem however, is folding. My mom always taught me to sort into towls, shirts, pants, etc. and then start to fold. My problem is I just hate folding. I usually fold as it comes out of the dryer. Again the problem is when Clint does the laundry he washes it and then creates a huge mountain of clean clothes on our bedroom floor. Then we have to dig to find stuff. And then I REALLY don't want to fold laundry.

Emily & Brannick Adams said...

Reading that made me laugh out loud, such good memories! I'm glad you have progressed in your laundry sorting. I, however have continued in my college ways. My mom even gets made at me now whenever I do laundry at home because sometimes I don't even separate light and darks if I only have a small load. But I do look forward to the days of doing many colorful loads of laundry again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails