Thursday, March 5, 2009

<<< Carrots >>>

Seriously, I struggle with side-dishes. I mean I just spent an hour on an extravagant main dish, and now you want something to go with it?! Of all the nerve!

Really, It's more of a one-track mind thing over not having time or energy. I just don't think about it until it's too late.

However when I do plan ahead I try and make sure it adds to the overall nutrition of the meal, otherwise, I might as well just save myself the time and effort. And it's only a benefit when it's simple enough I can remember and don't have to dig through recipe books.

So this recipe (I'm using that term very loosely) is for Glazed Carrots. Sometimes we eat carrots plain straight from the fridge. Sometimes we dip them in Spicy Ranch, and sometimes we eat them glazed. Really variety is important to help keep the family from dying of boredom over their vegetables.



Start with however many carrots your family will (hopefully) eat and cook them to your desired doneness using your preferred method. I put them an a small pot with enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Bring it to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat so that they half boil/half steam. Either way when they are done drain out any remaining water.


The glaze is made up of equal parts of butter and brown sugar. Here I was using about a tablespoon and a half of each. Stir that around with your carrots. The heat of the carrots and pan will most likely give all the heat needed, but if the brown sugar looks "grainy" at all turn the heat on low for a minute to get the sugar crystals all melted.

The last step is the surprising yet delicious one. Sprinkle with a bit of dill weed. It gives it a great flavor that gives this more "grown up" appeal. If your kids won't touch speckled carrots, then leave it off for them, but do give it a try-at least once.

As you see I knocked myself out this night with two vegetable side dishes. -I know!- Actually I made the peas for the baby, because he loves them, and I wasn't sure that he would eat the carrots. Ha! He loved the carrots. (Also as you see we were using paper products. Cut me some slack, I've got a lot on my plate =wink= right now.)


Coming Soon:

  • Another recipe in my year's goal of eating more vegetables. The "funnest" way to eat sweet potatoes you've ever seen!
  • "Overheard" words exchanged at bedtime that I hope my child won't repeat at church.
  • And a very green party for a lucky little boy!

BTW: Yesterday I checked out an HTML book from the library. . . Look out Blogosphere!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I have the EXACT same problem when it comes to side dishes of veggies. I know they're healthy and I should include them, but I just spent an hour making the main meal!! That's why I love one dish meals, that have it all...lots of veggies already in. :)

Anonymous said...

We had these for dinner on Sunday. They were delicious!! Emma & Collin loved them!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails