Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sweet Sweet Potato


Last summer in SLC we were introduced to Rumbi "Island Grill." Maybe we were just shell-shocked from having more than the three choices for fast food joints we have here, but we loved it.

We loved the feel of eating healthier fast food. A huge bowl of brown rice with sauteed vegetables (broccoli, carrot, zucchini, and celery) tossed on, with a delicious serving of Luau Pulled Pork with Hawaiian Teriyaki sauce on top.

(I don't really know how it compares nutritionally to other fast food, but I do know that when I can recognize my whole grains and vegetables just by looking at them it's a good thing.)

The best part by far,however, was the sweet-potato french fries. The first time we went we ordered the Rumbi Fries which is a mix of traditional and sweet potato fries, but from then on it was sweet potato only!

I love sweet potatoes, and not only for baby food. We ate the fries all summer (OK really I think it was three times--we were only there two months) but for some reason it didn't occur to me until about two months ago to try and make them for myself at home.

I saw one of those french fries cutter-gadgets at the store, and thought "Cool, I need that!" But then thought it through realised I didn't, and had a sweet potato epiphany along the way. . .

Just peel the sweet potato.

Chop it in to "fries" with a regular ol' knife and cutting board. Pile on a roasting pan, drizzle with your oil of choice, toss to coat (this keeps the skins from drying out). Spread them out on the pan so they don't touch very much (or else they will steam instead of roasting). Then roast them in the oven at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until they are nice and soft.


Sprinkle with salt if you want--we usually don't--and serve them with Rumbi Fry Sauce. (Ketchup and mayo mixed together.) Delicious, and of course the boys love them too!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Yummy! We have a place here called Scotty P's Hamburgers and they have sweet potato fries. So fabulously good! I need to try to make some myself.

rachel said...

Oh, we LOVE sweet potato fries. The look delicious with your fry sauce :)

Anonymous said...

Rumbi's is one of our favorite places to go! Last time we made fries at home our kitchen caught on fire, so I may just stick to eating them at Rumbi's!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails