Thursday, April 16, 2009

Welcome Home

My brother Mark is returning home today from serving a two year proselyting and service mission in Russia for our church.

I've definitely missed him. But I've also found some really great high profile stand-ins for him over the last two years.

I may sound heartless but seriously there's been some people that kind of look and act in ways similar to him, so that I almost feel like I'm back hanging out with him at my parents house. (We all lived there together before we came out here for grad school and he left on his mission.)

You seem incredulous? Well, let me start with a picture of Mark:



Here he's in Prague getting a new visa. And can you guess who totally reminded me of Mark last summer? Michael Phelps! I'm serious--here compare:




Seriously! They totally look a like. Also, Mark is athletic and was really into tennis in high school. So there was that not football or baseball or basketball*-playing sports connection. I don't know, also I just felt better about cheering on some person who I'd never met before because he reminded me of my brother.

So then since we got back this fall and our friends gave us a TV antenna I've been getting a real kick out of the KSNT morning meteorologist- Tom Hagan:




Seriously he cracks me up and, for what ever reason, reminds me of Mark. I even checked out his Bio, and get this: he plays tennis.

Yep. He's totally goofy. Except that he's not, he's professional, he just looks like a teenage boy.

He has a cheesy TV commercial that get's me cracking up every time. He makes all these weather jokes but they aren't jokes. Like he's at the drive in and his server hands him an ice cream and says: "Isn't it a bit cold for a Sunday?" And Tom kind of sticks his head out his window and looks up in the sky and says, "Na, It's about average."

Bwaaa Hahahahahahaha!

OK, It's really not that funny, but I guess it's similar to the goofy humor that reminds me of Mark.

I think maybe the reason Micheal and Tom remind me of Mark, is because they are all young and yet "grown up." They have adult responsibilities and jobs but inside you can tell they still just like to have fun and still enjoy life.

Way to go Mark. I'm proud of you for sacrificing time and effort to serve the Lord Jesus Christ just as he asked his ancient deciples to do after his resurrection: "go . . . and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matthew 28:19-20).

I can't wait to see you again, although my husband doesn't have a job still so you'll have to make your own travel accommodations. I'm sure that won't be a problem. So congratulations again, and congratulations to Mom for surviving her baby being gone to Russia for two years with only four phone calls and 104 internet cafe e-mails . I love my family!



*AKA: The Axis of Evil. OK really I'm just kidding, but I do get frustrated when national and international news stories have no showing on TV because all the time needs to be saved for 45 minutes of local and national sports results. That's all.

2 comments:

Shanna said...

It is so good to have Mark home!! It is funny because I thought the same thing about Michael Phelps! I know that Mark is not my "real" brother...but in someways he feels like he is since he was only 10 when I started dating Brian. It made my heart happy to see him tonight. He is is such a good guy, and good example for our boys!! The kiddos are lucky to have him as an uncle! It was a happy, happy day!!

Unknown said...

So I was showing Clint the pictures and he says, " No you know how he looks like? Tom Hagan." Then I was scowling down to write you a note and we totally started busting up when we saw the picture of Tom. :)

I think it's the smile. At least from the a picture point of view.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails